- Technology is now real: Small Nokia phones and iPods are introduced
- Reality TV starts to take over
- Boy bands have faded out
- A white rapper has the highest selling album of the year
- Movies are all about sequels, trilogies, and beyond
Just the thumbnail itself aggravates me. I'm team Barbie. Bratz are stupid. 2002 is when the world officially went downhill and started getting rid of the 90s.
Some more facts:
- Nickelback’s "How You Remind Me" is No.1 on Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 singles.
- Justin Timberlake, 30 Seconds to Mars, Norah Jones, N.E.R.D., Cee-Lo Green and Avril Lavigne, release their debut albums.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers is the highest grossing film of the year.
- Other big films released that year include: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Spider-Man, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, Ice Age and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
- The Osbournes, The Shield, Made, The Nick Cannon Show, Degrassi: The Next Generation, Crank Yankers, 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter and Kim Possible, were among the television shows that premiered.
- Jackass, Daria, The X-Files, Roswell, The Amanda Show, The Rosie O'Donnell Show and Ally McBeal, all ended their series run.
- TLC’s Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes dies in a car accident in Honduras.
- Fergie joins The Black Eyed Peas during the recording of their album Elephunk.
- The first Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival is held in Tennessee. Performers include that year include, Jack Johnson, Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule and Norah Jones.