It may be kind of hard to tell there [it's also upside down], but any normal person probably would have just thrown it away. I'm too poor for all that.
Originally I just planned on cleaning it up, taking the back out, and painting some of the shelves. Because of electronics being on there, it didn't work out so well. Instead, I turned it into this:
It was really pretty easy and cheap.
- Get 4 pieces of posterboard for $.38 each at Walmart, along with 2 yards of a simple, satin fabric for $5
- Decide if you want the fabric tight or loosely hanging, and attach accordingly to the top-back of the bookshelf with nails.
- Nail the posterboards to the bookshelf through the fabric so that it's not see-through and has a little stability.
- If you have cords that need to go through the back, cut small SLITS through the fabric, and either a slit or small notch in the posterboard near the bottom of the shelf.
- Because I'm ADD and have always had the belief of "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist, I just folded over extra fabric and hot-glued it to the posterboard. It looks a littttle rough in the back, but no one will ever know. PLUS.. it looks way better than having the cords visibly hang down.
- If you need to touch up the paint, I got black spray paint for $.98 at Walmart.
I really do enjoy making things and having another hobby again! Thanks for the inspiration, Pinterest.
If you wanna learn how to make the bottle vases or the other 3 projects I did last week, click here!