I went to AC Moore on Sunday when they had an extra 25% off everything in the store, and got a bunch of 16x20 canvases for $2.50 each! HELLO BARGAIN! I've always wanted to have some to play with, but there's one project I've been wanting to do.
Some people cover shoe box tops with fabric as decoration... I wanted to take that one step forward and paint a quote or something on them... then I decided to cover the canvases [kinda defeating the purpose of them, but I can always take the fabric off] and paint simple silhouettes on them.
I suck and didn't take pictures during the process, but that's because it's so easy.
- Canvas or shoe box
- Hot glue/gun
- Fabric to cover your canvas or top [$1/each if you get swatches]
- Simple acrylic craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Iron out the fabric if necessary and place it on top of the canvas.
- Glue down the sides, doing about two inches at a time and alternating sides. Make sure you pull it a little so it's nice and flat.
- If you need to, pencil an outline of what you want to paint on.
- Paint.. and then love!
After I hung them up, Nugget and I both decided I should have made bigger ones... but they'll do! And I'm hoping they'll look 100x better as soon as I get some new furniture in this piece.
Also, my walls are not nearly as pink as they appear there, but for some reason my pictures always have a different tint in each place I see them.
So they're not the most artistic things ever.. but they're personalized and fun! I might end up redoing them on different fabric, but these were the only options at the time, and they'll totally work for now, don't ya think?!